Our natural instinct is to ask our friends, who have sold their own homes in the past. That’s a good instinct to have, but if you don’t ask anybody else, you’ll find that your own experience might vary. There are many variables affecting this experience, but you’ll never go wrong by asking realtors for home selling tips! It is a real estate agent’s literal job to sell houses, so their opinion has been validated from a professional standpoint.
The Best Home Selling Tips
Don’t be afraid. Consult a real estate agent to get the best home selling tips! Here are some of the ones that can help you best:
- Take Good Photos: If necessary, hire a professional photographer to take pictures of your home. People might be taught not to judge books by their covers, but there’s nothing to stop people from judging your house by its pictures. You might have a beautiful home, but if the only exterior shot you have is a photo taken with your phone with next to no lighting, few people will see its full potential. It’d be wise to check with your real estate agent to see if they know anyone specializing in exterior and interior photography.
- Make Sure You Clean: A spotless home will go a long way in impressing interested buyers. It may cost money, but hiring a professional cleaning crew might be prudent if you want to be sure that everything will be cleaned properly. You might also not have the time to do a thorough cleaning yourself.
- Take your Time: Rushing through this is a surefire way of making a bad mistake. Or a careless one, which will turn into a mistake that you regret. This might be as simple as telling a repairman to speed through their repair of your chimney, resulting in even more problems. So, don’t worry. Just take your time, and your house will eventually be taken off your hands.
- Fix a Hole: No, not the Beatles song. You might have a hole in the drywall somewhere or a leak in the roof. No matter what the problem is, you should do your best to fix it before an interested buyer spots it, and uses it against you during negotiations for the house’s price.
- Set a Negotiable Price: It’s important to be open to negotiations unless you’ve set your home at a price well below its actual value, which is unlikely if your real estate agent is competent in any way. Negotiating the price might be a pain, but some buyers simply feel better about the deal if they feel as if they’ve won somehow. A few thousand dollars off the asking price might feel nothing to you, but to the buyer, it might feel like an absolute win. Keep your mind open to negotiations, but don’t allow yourself to be cheated. Consult your realtor before agreeing to anything.
There are countless more home selling tips, but few are as useful and as important as the ones listed above. So, keep a cool head, check through this list as you go about selling your home, and you’ll be fine!